As you probably already know, GNU/Linux has no shortage of VoIP apps. We’ve written on Wire and Discord . And we even compiled a list of The 10 Best Instant Messaging Apps for Linux .
Today, we’ve got a new app to add to our list of instant messaging apps and it goes by the name of qTox.
qTox is a free and open source p2p instant messaging, audio and video calls app and is (apparently) the most feature-rich Tox client. As a powerful Tox client, it follows Tox’s design guidelines while maintaining a uniform UI/UX across all the major platforms.
It is built with privacy as its paramount goal and the team has even made a public statement that user safety is their priority and nothing in the world can change that.
Features in qTox
- FOSS: qTox is free to download and use. And its source code is available on GitHub
- Cross-Platform: Enjoy qTox on Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, and Linux
- Intuitive and clean User Interface without ads
- Free VoIP service
- Instant Messaging
- Video calls and video conferencing
- Support for 30+ languages
- Support for Emoticons, ToxMe, and Tox
- Support for file transfers and image previews
- Leading-class encryption to guarantee user privacy
qTox has a couple of other features that you may prefer using compared to those available in Skype for Linux. Especially since updates are being rolled out to the project at a ridiculously slow rate.
Download qTOX for Linux
Are you familiar with qTox? Tell us about your experience with it in the comments section and feel free to add your suggestions.